Saturday 16 March 2013

Pumpkin Custard - on the fifth day


Pumpkin reminds me of Cindrella and Halloween. Like all kids, I was familiar with Cindrella since childhood and didn’t know Halloween until American sitcoms became a part of my life.
As a vegetable, none of us really looked forward to eating pumpkin when we were growing up. I remember, for dessert we were served hot custard, in my boarding school in Mussoorie.  It was quite bad, epitome of hostel food. I guess the weather was cold so we would finish the whole thing just because it was hot. I didn’t really enjoy custard until I ate the ones made with egg yolks. It takes a little effort and time but tastes way better than the powder ones made in a jiffy. I came across this particular recipe from a very old book.  This one is made with cooked pureed pumpkin, infused with lovely orange and ginger flavour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment