Monday 1 April 2013

Croquembouche or croque-en-bouche


A min-mini version of the traditional French dessert served at weddings 
To make this, profiteroles are filled with cream patisserie and cream chantilly and stuck together with caramel. The cake is then covered in spun sugar. The actual Croquembouch is quite high. Unlike in the UK and US, the French do not have tiered cakes during weddings. As per the tradition, the bride and groom have to reach out on the top of the peak. 
 Although I was not sure of uploading these pictures as these pictures were of my first attempt. Completely forgot to click pictures when I made them the second time which I felt was better in terms of presentation. When it turned out right, I did feel a sense of achievement, relief and confidence. Pretty much got there! These small brown round profiteroles that you see in the picture are filled with cream patisserie and cream chantilly. Glued together by caramel and covered all around with spun sugar. Had to work really fast with the hot caramel before it hardened. Kept reheating it. Learnt a lesson, always keep some cold water in a bowl handy ‘coz burnt my fingers a few times. The only problem I faced was due to our city temperature, the spun sugar melted and looked more like strings and lost its fluffy texture. Overall I was happy with the taste and texture and the presentation of the second one. Taste wise it’s lighter than the other cakes. In fact ‘croque-en-bouche’ when translated, means ‘crunch in the mouth’.  Looking for the proper mould so I can make the actual size.




No comments:

Post a Comment